WAMEND’s Long-Term Objectives
The WAMEND Coalition is working for passage and ratification of an amendment to the U.S. Constitution that restores democracy to we the people by getting money out of politics and restoring constitutional rights for human beings, not corporations.
We have three long-term objectives:
- To ensure that every Congressional representative from Washington state supports a constitutional amendment,
- To ensure that the Washington State legislature ultimately ratifies the amendment passed by the U.S. Congress, and,
- To create a grass roots organization that is a national model for state level bottom-up organizing.
WAMEND’s Two-year Objective (2014-2016): Public Ballot Initiative
As part of building the grassroots support to achieve our long-term objectives, WAMEND will begin collecting signatures early April 2015 through to the end of December. Then we will get the voters of Washington State to approve a public initiative in November 2016 general election that calls for the passage of a US Constitutional amendment clarifying that:
- corporations are not persons entitled to the human rights listed in the Constitution and the Bill of Rights;
- the spending of money to influence elections is not speech under the First Amendment; and,
- federal, state and local governments shall regulate, limit, or prohibit political contributions and expenditures and require their public disclosure
Number of valid signatures required: 247,000
Target number of signatures to gather: 330,000
We Need All the Help We Can Muster!
To be successful in getting the public initiative on the state ballot in the fall of 2016 and to pass by the majority of Washington state voters we are getting a commitment from thousands of signature gatherers and raising funds to promote the initiative. Signature gathering will occur from this April and through December. We can do it, but we need your help. The more volunteers we can sign up the easier it will be.