Our mission is to make Washington the 18th state to go on record calling for an amendment to the U.S. Constitution to protect fair and equal elections.
The amendment will empower our elected representatives to put reasonable limits on how much money corporations, unions, special interest groups, and the uber-wealthy spend on influencing elections. We believe this amendment is needed to win back a democracy that works for ALL Americans, not just the wealthiest few.
The amendment would settle for once and for all that:
- Constitutional rights belong only to individual people, NOT corporations;
- Spending money is NOT free speech under the First Amendment;
- Governments are empowered to regulate political contributions and expenditures to prevent undue influence; and
- Political contributions and expenditures must be promptly disclosed to the public.
Be sure to check out our frequently asked questions!
Spokane organizer Stacey Cossey attended the Move to Amend summit in Washington, DC this May.
Here is why she said she's volunteering for Initiative 735:
Initiative 735 is backed by the Washington Coalition to Amend the Constitution (WAmend).
Members of the WAmend steering committee include representatives from:
- Fix Democracy First
- Public Citizen
- Move to Amend
- Pay to Play
- The Green Party of Washington State
- West Seattle Democratic Women
Top donors to Initiative 735:
- Bill Clapp $50,000
- Harriet Bullitt $40,000
- David Bangs $30,542
- Fix Democracy First $17,441
- William von Mueffling $15,000
- Public Citizen $15,000
- Jeffrey Clements $6,000
- Diane Jones $5,200
- Holly Mosher $5,100